FIBRE TECHNICIAN – SENIOR
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE: The Fibre Technician’s main duty will be to install and repair fibre optic cables.
Key Performance Areas would include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing and leading Installations, troubleshooting, and maintaining all fibre optic systems in businesses, homes, schools, and other organizations to ensure that they are working properly.
- Measuring the signal strength of television, telephone and internet connections to ensure that there is adequate performance.
- Creating sensors and performing inspections to make sure that the fibre optic systems do not have defects that could undermine performance.
- Conducting regular inspections of the systems with the aim of locating and repairing any defects detected during the inspections.
- Run fibre optic cables underground or aerial and perform premises cabling
- May be required to climb telephone poles and crawl in small spaces for installation purposes
- Determining solutions to any problems and issues that are preventing the fibre optic systems from performing optimally.
- Constructing a proper slice case as well as preparing and maintaining records, diagrams and
schematics relating to the splice case.
- Work overtime, weekends, or on emergency call outs as required.
- Splicing, testing, and troubleshooting of fibre sites and links.
- Documenting and reporting on work completed.
- Maintaining project and safety documentation.
- Inspecting fiber routes and hub sites as preventative maintenance.
- Ensuring all attended sites are clearly labelled.
- Allocating faults and mobilizing resources within minimal time to counter fault.
- Restoring links quickly and effectively.
The successful candidate must have the following experience/skills: -
- Technical training in electronics and computers are essential skills for fibre network technicians
- 5+ years Fibre Optic splicing experience (preference given to those with additional experience or FTTx project experience)
- Technical training considered an asset
- Previous experience testing for improved experience
- Experience using FO troubleshooting tools (i.e. OTDR, Mass Fusion Splicing, etc.)
- Drivers license
- Clean driving record
- Customer service skills
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Strong knowledge of the company and all of its services
- Good working knowledge of hand and power tools used in this position
- Proficient in fibre cable termination with connectors
- Well versed in fusion splicing machine technique
- Strong manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, confined spaces, isolation
- Ability to work in a physically demanding atmosphere including, but is not limited to carry, raise and
- climb a ladder, carry, lift and handle heavy equipment (manhole covers, cable reels)
- Self-disciplined, motivated and organized
- Effective planning skills
- Managing skills
- At least an associate degree in telecommunications engineering or electrical engineering
- Specialized certifications would be an advantage