Wits Health Consortium (Pty) Limited (“WHC“) is a wholly owned Company of the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg (South Africa) under its Faculty of Health Sciences. WHC provides Faculty with a legal framework within which to operate the research and other activities necessary to support its academic objectives. In addition WHC offers a range of products and services to the Academics conducting these activities in order to assist with the management thereof.
The Respiratory & Meningeal Pathogens Research Unit (RMPRU) was established in 1997, with an original research mandate to investigate pneumococcal diseases at the molecular, epidemiological, clinical and pharmacological levels.
Over time, the Unit has evolved to include investigating the clinical and molecular epidemiology of other bacteria and respiratory viruses that are associated with pneumonia and meningitis. Also, the Unit has established itself to be a premier clinical trial facility for vaccine and training platforms for post-graduate students.
Main purpose of the job
- To assist with participant recruitment, collection of samples and provide nursing care to patients enrolled in clinical trials.
- RMPRU – Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital, Soweto
Key performance areas
- Screen patient files and identify potential patients for clinical trials.
- Enroll participants by educating them about the study and obtain informed consent according to SOPs.
- Complete relevant study documentation / questionnaires and checklists.
- Draw the necessary Cord Bloods, Maternal Bloods and Vaginal swabs from patients and send samples or specimens to laboratory in accordance with study SOP’s.
- Prepare sample packs (Maternal packs, vaginal swabs, blood sample holders etc.) on a daily basis and ensure that the correct packs are used to collect the specimens.
- Collect required data from participant medical records
- Record and maintain recruitment plans, including screening and enrolment logs on a daily basis Complete and file all relevant documentation (CRF’s, source documents etc.) in patient files.
- Report on stats of participants recruited on a daily basis in the study handover book. Attend to data queries and resolve them accordingly
Required minimum education and training
- Certificate in Enrolled Nursing
Professional body registration
- Registration with the South African Nursing Council
Required minimum work experience
- 1 Year Pediatric Nursing or midwifery experience preferred
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- Computer literacy, including use of Microsoft (MS) Word and MS Excel beneficial Attention to detail, enthusiastic, hard-working.
- Good interpersonal, organizational skills and ability to work independently is essential
- Fluency in at least one local language other than English is essential
Demands of the job
- Shiftwork is required, alternating between dayshift and nightshift on a bi–weekly basis.
- Work will mainly take place within the maternity wards of the hospital.
- Preference will be given to female candidates due to the inherent requirements of the job.
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV - Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 31 July 2020.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position