Wits Health Consortium (Pty) Limited (“WHC“) is a wholly owned Company of the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg (South Africa) under its Faculty of Health Sciences. WHC provides Faculty with a legal framework within which to operate the research and other activities necessary to support its academic objectives. In addition WHC offers a range of products and services to the Academics conducting these activities in order to assist with the management thereof.
The Empilweni Services and Research Unit (ESRU) based within the Department of Paediatrics and Child Health at the RMMCH is one of the newest officially recognized members of the Faculty of Health Sciences at Wits. The unit obtained official recognition in late 2014.
Historically, this unit grew out of a need to provide Antiretroviral access to HIV-infected children receiving care within the Department of Paediatrics at Wits.
Professor Ashraf Coovadia along with Professor Tammy Meyers (Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital CHBAH) and Dr Dalo Ndiweni (Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital - CMJAH) initially created the Wits Paeds Group which was a network of Paediatric HIV clinics that provided state-of-the art services to infants and children who were HIV-exposed or HIV-infected. This group later called the Wits Paediatric HIV Clinics, continued to grow in staffing as well as began research projects at the Harriet Shezi Children’s HIV clinic at CHBAH. In 2000 clinical research began within the Paediatric HIV services at RMMCH which was later called the Empilweni Clinic. Empilweni was chosen as its name as it is translated from isiZulu as ‘a place of life''.
Main purpose of the job
To assist the study coordinator with all study related duties
Location: Rahima Moosa Mother and Child Hospital, Johannesburg
Key performance areas
- Obtain informed consent from Study Participants
- Collection of Laboratory samples including Maternal blood, cord blood, placenta collection, recto-vaginal swabs and nasal swabs
- Case Report Forms completion from maternal ANC file in real time
- Daily accurate completion of study visit and screening logs
- Research related administration
- Communicate routinely as needed to the study coordinator and Principal investigator regarding clinical management of subjects
- Attend and resolve queries that are generated by data management staff
- Perform all study related tasks according to GCP principles
Required minimum education and training
- Qualified as an Enrolled Nurse
Professional body registration
- Registered with the South African Nursing Council
Required minimum work experience
- Experience in mid-wifery would be advantageous
- Experience in Phlebotomy would be advantageous
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- Ability to lead and work independently as well as be part of a multidisciplinary team
- Flexibility to adapt to changes in study requirements
- Ability to speak local languages
- Excellent attention to detail
- Computer Literacy
- GCP Certification is advantageous
Demands of the job
- Shift work is required, alternating dayshift work
- May be required to work on COVID studies
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV - Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 14 July 2020.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.
This job is now closed. You can apply for other jobs by uploading your CV.